Sunday 14 June 2020

Breonna Taylor



Once upon a time,
an unarmed man
Crawled in through
my open, bedroom window.
It was five am and
he was drunk,
after a moment of terror
I realised it was
my next door neighbour.
I was twenty,
I made him stop,
and shut up
Because I didn't want
him to wake
my housemates
Told him to go sit
on the front stairs
while I made him coffee.
It was 1986 in
Canada.


Breonna Taylor
Was asleep in her bed
when armed men
supposed to be
protectors
used a battering ram
to enter her house
without warning.
Her boyfriend shot one
in the leg
self defence.
He had no idea they were
police.
Serve and protect,
was not their motto as
they fired 20 rounds
in return,
murdering her
with Eight bullets,
while she slept.

 
I often think
about these two events
placed
side by side
Seven years age difference
between Breonna and me
when someone
entered our homes
without asking.
I Try to imagine
the fear, Her fear
her sudden pain
then the nothing.
as her life ended.
She was first responder
her work was
to save lives of
mothers, fathers, children
cops.


We like to believe
we are safe in our beds
that when sleep takes us
we will wake up
start anew, go forward
one day, one year,
at a time.
And I think about how
there was
no quarter given
to Breonna
only shoot first with
no consequences after
and there can be
no forgiveness because
There is no later for her
They stole her life.

07.06.2020

As of 18.06.2020 there have been no arrests of the officers who murdered her.

"Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old African-American emergency medical technician, was fatally shot by Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) officers on March 13, 2020. Three LMPD officers executing a no-knock search warrant entered her apartment in Louisville, Kentucky. Gunfire was exchanged between Taylor's boyfriend Kenneth Walker and the officers. Walker said he believed that the officers were intruders. The LMPD officers fired over twenty shots. Taylor was shot eight times[1] and LMPD Sergeant Jonathan Mattingly was injured by gunfire.[2] Another police officer and an LMPD lieutenant were on the scene when the warrant was executed.[3]"

No comments:

Post a Comment